Saturday, July 25, 2009

Building or Remodeling Anxiety?

Like everything I do, this blog is to provide information for you, because I care deeply about homeowners, and want to help -- even if I may never have the pleasure of meeting you. Unlike my newsletter, or articles, or my book, this venue is more informal (thank goodness!). It opens the door for chatting. "Two monologues do not create a dialogue." (Jeff Daly)

During a meeting two days ago, I was reminded how overwhelming the remodeling process can be, even if someone has been through a renovation before. Several years ago, my client remodeled her kitchen. Her contractor did a wonderful job, but she didn't have a designer. When she talks about choosing the material for her kitchen countertops, it's easy to see (and feel) the terror she's reliving.

Have you ever been through a building or remodeling project? Were you overwhelmed by all of the choices you had, and all of the decisions you had to make? Did anyone prepare you for the phases involved in your project? Did you feel alone, or abandoned?

Have you thought about starting another project? What are you going to do differently this time? That's what I'm here for -- to help you (and others). We'll chat about many different things, and if you have questions, I'll answer them. Now you can read the same advice that my client heard the other day. Hopefully, it will help you overcome your anxiety about building or remodeling.

Whether you have a designer or not (yet), you can buy two or three magazines (maximum!) containing articles and pictures relating to what you want to do. Get small "post" notes (business card size or smaller, but large enough to write notes on). Simply go through the magazines at your leisure, and flag anything that appeals to you (or things that are unappealing). You don't have to find pictures that show exactly what you desire. This is a great exercise, to help you define what you want. It's what I call pre-shopping. Ultimately, you'll save time and money when you're making decisions.


With Inspired Ideas for Your Home,


Diane

If you would like to read more tips, trends, and how-to's, subscribe to my free weekly ezine (also entitled "Plesset's Principles for Today's Home"): http://www.dp-design.com

No comments:

Post a Comment